Thursday, June 25, 2015

We are off to Buckingham Palace! Finally!

In July we will be heading to London. My husband and I have been there twice but this will be a first time for our children. While we are there we will see Westminster Abbey and plan to go to the Tower of London, Harrods, Hamleys Toy store and Hatchards, a very old bookstore in Piccadilly which is supposed to have a royal biographies section that is second to none. We might also check out the Harry Potter studios and have afternoon tea somewhere child friendly. I would love to go to Clarence House but I doubt we will have time.

One part of the trip that I am looking forward to is finally going to see Buckingham Palace. As I mentioned, I have been to London twice and both times I missed out on it. The first time was in August 2003 when my boyfriend (now husband) surprised me with a trip to London and Paris to propose to me. We had three days and chose to make the pilgrimage to Althorp to see the Diana exhibit instead. I'm happy we went because it was beautifully done and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on it.

The second time was for William and Kate's wedding in April 2011. Yes, I went to London just for the royal wedding! Did not get to see the royal couple or Buckingham Palace as both were previously occupied at the time. I went to Windsor Castle instead and enjoyed it immensely.

This time round I was just going to sign up for the State Rooms but instead decided to make a 'Royal Day' of it and do the Queen's Gallery and Royal Mews too. I've read that Buckingham Palace is in need of repairs and the Queen might need to relocate. Let's hope this happens after our visit. Don't want to miss out on Buckingham Palace again!

© Marilyn Braun 2015


Thank you for enjoying this article. If you use the information for research purposes, a link to credit the work I've put into writing it would be appreciated.

No comments: